2013/10/10

A small EDC first aid kit


This is a small first aid kit (FAK) I created a while ago. The idea came after lurking the highly recommendable Equipped To Survive forum, where I stumbled upon a thread about a small every day carry (EDC) FAK that actually came into use after an urban accident.

Anyway, my new kit comes in an old nylon pouch with fuzzy velcro and is about the size of a Leatherman (but fortunately not as heavy, it weighs only 42 g or 1.48 oz).



Crammed inside is a ziplock bag with various first aid supplies, that are basically just for immediate care of smaller wounds and blisters. The bag should keep the contents free from dirt and also more or less dry, although I won't try to submerge the kit in the tub.



A) Nylon (?) pouch, from some cheap knife or tool, I don’t remember
B) Zip lock bag, rather thin, so it might be ripped open in case of an emergency (I guess even one-handed and/or with teeth)
C) Sterile gauze bandage, with a 8 x 10 cm dressing (3.15 x 3.94 inches)
D) Sterile scalpel blade (#20)
E) Band-aid (8,5 cm / 3.34 inches), folded up so it's as wide as the rest of the items
F) Alcohol pads (six)
G) blister band-aid
H) Safety pins (two)
I) Tape, wrapped around a thin piece of plastic (about 50 cm / 20 inches I guess)
J) Band-aids (three)

I could also add some medication, like aspirin or ibuprofen. As already mentioned this should fix minor bleedings and blisters, but in my backpack I carry a larger kit as well (more on that one in a later post).

Please, feel free to leave comments or suggestions. From the wrapping of the individual items you may also have noticed that I'm from Germany, so please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment