2013/10/17

And another first aid kit

Here is another first aid kit that I built just before the small EDC FAK I presented earlier. It has a very similar set-up, only with a slightly larger capacity. It can be worn on person or thrown in a bag, but the smaller one fits more comfortably in a cargo pocket (I tried that the last couple days). Also, I don't really like putting stuff on my belt...


This kit (left) and the smaller EDC FAK (right)

The pouch is about 12 x 7 x 3 cm (4.72 x 2.76 x 1.18 inches) and weighs 136 g (4.8 oz).


A) The pouch is a Tatonka Tool Pocket in size L, made from heavy duty nylon (Texamid 11.1), that can be worn both vertically and horizontally on your belt. A large saftey pin is attached to it, because you can never have enough of those on you.
B) The contents are wrapped in a thin ziplock bag to keep them clean and more or less dry.
C) A pair of disposable gloves.
D) Two individually wrapped sterile gauze bandages, one with a 10 x 12 cm (3.94 x 4.72 inches) dressing and the other one in 8 x 10 cm (3.15 x 3.94 inches).
E) A wet towel.
F) Tape, wrapped around a piece of cardboard (ca. 50 cm / 20 inches).
G) Scalpel blade (#20)
H) Blister bandaid (I guess I'll add one or two more).
I) Five bandaids.
J) Two larger pieces of bandaid.
K) Six alcohol pads.

Again, the kit comes without any medication, but I think some aspirin or ibuprofen would be a good addition.

It is basically designed to patch up bleedings and blisters, and even a heavier bleeding could be dressed with one bandage while incorporating the other one (still wrapped) to apply pressure to the wound (at least that's what they taught me in a first aid course I had to take to get my drivers license). In my backpack I carry an Emergency (Isreali) Bandage anyway, so I guess I'd rather use that one when s**t hits the fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment